Designing your own steel building is easy when you have the necessary knowledge and tools to get started. It would also help if you can find a reputable contractor who can offer you a consultation for the design. Choosing for the roof design, trim, color, and much more can be overwhelming at the start, but with proper assistance, you can get through the design and build process as swiftly as possible.
Get connected to Several Dealers!
Receive multiple free quotes from top Metal Building companies. Compare styles and prices to get the best steel building for you. It’s fast, easy, and free. Start now!
Below are four major considerations before you break ground:
To get a clear picture of the amount you would need to finish your steel buildings, you would need to take into account not only the cost of the building materials. Below are other factors that may affect your budgeting:
- Labor, Utility installation, Tools, and equipment – You may hire a general contractor to provide you all the necessary labor and materials or you may opt to build on your own and be responsible to complete all the requirements to get started.
- Transport and shipping – the transport and shipping costs depend on the distance of the job site from the manufacturer.
- Foundation – You may need to consult an engineer to design the foundation for you as this is usually not included in the total package.
- Designs and Drawings- Take note that other vendors already include the design and drawings in the total price.
- Permits – Obtaining permits could be time-consuming. You may opt to hire a contractor to do it for you but this, of course, entails another expense.
The Site Location
Ensure that the design clearly meets various building codes in relation to the following factors:
- Seismic Activity
- Drainage system
- Environmental exposure such as sunlight, heavy snow or rain, pollution, salt air, and humidity.
Zoning and Building Codes
It is important that before designing your steel building, you have contacted first your local zoning board to check on various zoning restrictions. Otherwise, you may have to face hefty fines for non-compliance or demolition of your new building at your own expense. Most municipalities usually zone for industrial, agricultural, commercial and residential. Zoning is particularly implemented to make sure buildings in the specific area are uniform in appearance.
You would also need to check whether your design complies with building codes. Most municipalities refer to the International Building Codes (IBC). Note that some areas may have extensive building codes when it comes to seismic activity while others are more particular in codes addressing extreme weather conditions.
Steel Building Accessories
Choosing the appropriate accessories could be both exciting and daunting. Below are a few things to consider:
- Framed openings such as windows, roof penetrations, doors, and vents.
- Roof Type – the choice is particularly affected by the weather condition in the specific area. But regardless of anything, a standing seam roofing is a preferred choice as it gives the longest service life. It is also less susceptible to leakage.
- Ventilation – the right choice for ventilation depends on the purpose of the building and the regional weather.
- Trim – it includes ridge trim; rake, corner and eave trim; downspouts and gutters; and door, window and opening trim.
Metal Prefab Buildings is now on Twitter. Follow us @metalprefab for more industry news and experts insights!